I've been out of school for two weeks now and I wanted to put together a "dump" of some things I've done my first two semesters at art school.
Please note that this is FAR from everything I've done. I've done more than twice the amount of projects, and I've done HUNDREDS of sketches/thumbnails/studies. These are just some things I picked out to post :3
So yeah, first year of art school was very, very intensive. The basics of art are drilled into your brain over and over. You are forced to do a little bit of everything, and it is very challenging.
I present to you, my first year of college. xD
If anyone has any questions about art school (what it's like, what you have to do for your first year) etc, feel free to ask! ;u;
The top half is mostly sketches and studies that I had to do inside and outside of class. We did a lot of practice still lifes and a LOT of hands xD (I'm still really bad at hands ;n
Towards the end of the year, my Compositional Drawing class took a field trip to a lake and I got to do a large landscape study in charcoal, which was fun!
We also had to draw a lot of gestural figures. This involved me going to a local cafe, and stalking people so I could draw them. Can't tell you how awkward that got sometimes > u >
The bottom half are some of the completed projects I've done this year. I am an Illustration major so it's mostly illustration stuff.
1. Song Lyrics Assignment (Intro to Illustration, Pastels + Gouache). We had to choose our favorite song and illustrate our interpretation of the lyrics. I did Dirty Paws by Of Monsters and Men!
2. Reflective Still Life (Observational Drawing, White Charcoal) A simple reflective still life. My favorite piece I produced from that class.
3. Quoth the Raven project (Illustration, Ink). We had to illustrate either Edgar Allen Poe or Charles Dickens and incorporate ravens....SOOOO much fun! :3
4. "Guernica" project (Design II, Digital Art). Our final task was to create a reactionary piece based on a current event. I chose the Stuebenville Rape case.
5. Animal Occupation (Intro to Illustration, Pastel + Gouache) We were each assigned a random animal and an occupation...I got salamander + scientist. .___. LOL
6. Sculpture Master Copy (Compositional Drawing, Charcoal) THIS THING IS HUUUGE. I had to draw a 5ft sculpture of my choice. It was a horse made out of sticks, and DAMN, it was difficult haha.
7. Raven Spot Illustration (Intro to Illustration, Ink). This is a small, 4"x4" illustration to accompany my larger Poe illustration.
8. Stamp Series (Intro to Illustration, Pastels + gouache) We had to create a series of 3 stamps with a common theme -- mine was like hipster sweater animals or something haha
9. Text Morph (Design I, Ink) Our task was to transform an object into text. I did a red fox into its Latin scientific name, Vulpes!
10. Time Lapse Still Life (Compositional Drawing, graphite) It was like a normal still life, except halfway through, my professor moved objects around and we had to overlap them to show a shift in time. The objects that moved for me was the skull, the small plant, and the car.
11. 100 Portraits Project (Illustration: Traditional Media and Methods, acrylic paint.) THIS PROJECT WAS THE DEATH OF ME. We had to paint 100 portraits all in certain colors....and they couldn't be too detailed -__- klfjsfjk I NEVER WANT TO LOOK AT THIS PROJECT AGAIN. My professor "stole" the assignment from RISD, which is probably why it was so hard, ahha!
12. Cardboard Animal Project (Design II, cardboard). Oh my gosh. We were put into groups of 4 and we had to build a 5 foot animal that had moving joints. And, it had to be a combination of at least 10 different animals...my group named ours Henry <3
13. Self Portrait (Compositional Drawing, ink). We had to do a series of 5 self portraits in this class. This was my favorite out of the 5! This was done by me looking into a mirror.
14. Acrylic Self Portrait (Intro to Illustration, acrylic) This was referenced from a high-res photo of myself that my professor took. Ahhh, back when I had purpley hair.